is a garrison in the civil parish of Durrington, Wiltshire,
England. It is a short distance west of Durrington village
proper and 1 mile north of the prehistoric monument of Stonehenge.
It is about ten miles north of Salisbury.
settlement has a long association with the British military
and originally grew from military camps. It is now one of
the main garrisons on Salisbury Plain, along with Tidworth,
Bulford Camp and Warminster.
the military garrison was established the area was known as
Lark Hill, part of Durrington Down, owing to it being the
highest point in the parish. After the first military buildings
were established it came to be known as Larkhill Camp.
about 1890 Larkhill Camp started to be developed as a Garrison
to support the training activities on the Plain. During WW1
many thousands of troops were billeted on the plain some under
canvas others in wooden huts. Initially three tented camps
were built at Durrington, Larkhill and Fargo with a light
railway system serving all three.